Nam June Paik

November 22nd, 2010

Nam June Paik is a mainly video artist born in Korea. He was born in 1932 and died in 2006. In one of his most popular works titled Wrap around the World is a tower of tv’s stacked on each other. The cake shaped structure has over 1003 tv monitors and is 60 feet high.

Another one of his works titled Electronic Superhighway: Continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii. This map of the US was constructed with 336 televisions and over 600 feet of neon. The long map represents the never-ending roads that Paik experienced when he first came to America. By using different video clips and audio, he is trying to show us how influenced we are by media. This piece can actually be found in the Smithsonian American Art Museum.

I liked Nam June Paik, even though the statement about media and its influence on us seems to be overused, I still enjoyed his installations. My favorite was definitely Wrap around the World. Being able to actually see the installation in person would be amazing. Paik seemed to be a pioneer in his video art, it would be interesting to see what he thinks of popular sites we have today such as youtube.